Sunday, October 16, 2011

31 Days of Loving Life {Day 17 He Understands}

I've always heard that Jesus understands our pain, that while on earth He was tempted and suffered just as we do. It's one thing to hear it and a completely different matter to believe it.

I'm currently reading Max Lucado's new book, God's Story Your Story.  In this book, Max Lucado quotes the verse that is the origin of this saying, and it is quoted in a translation that I've never heard it quoted before.

For our high priest [Jesus] is able to understand our weaknesses.  When he lived on earth, he was tempted in every way that we are, but he did not sin.  Let us, then, feel very sure that we can come before God's Throne where there is grace.  There we can receive mercy and grace to help us when we need it.  Hebrews 4:15-16 NCV

This verse doesn't exactly paint the picture of Jesus sitting on His throne, tapping His fingers and saying, I can't believe she just did that, said that, failed that...again.  No completely opposite.  I'm envisioning Jesus sitting at His throne, looking down with love, saying you can do this, you have what you need to overcome this, I am with you, I have been there.

We all gravitate to people that we have things in common with.  I hope that this verse causes you to gravitate to Jesus more than ever before!

He does understand.

---
Miss a post?  Click here to find them all!

No comments:

Post a Comment